Monday, May 4, 2009

Weight Loss

Woo-hoo! I lost 3 pounds last week!

I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with that macaroni and cheese and Spam experiment.

Speaking of Spam, I did some research...

  • A serving size is 2 oz
  • In those 2 oz is 170 calories
  • 1 can of Spam holds 12 servings (this stuff could feed a large family!)
  • It's made of pork shoulder meat w/ some ham added, water, sugar, salt (and a lot of it...750 mg/serving mind you), and something called sodium nitrite (I thought my chemistry teacher mixed that with something and then it exploded in high school...should I be eating it?!)
  • Spam became popular during WWII when there was a meat ration
  • In the US 3.8 cans of Spam are consumed every second! Seriously! If you just did the math in your head (which I'm sure you all did!) that would be 7,752 calories of Spam are consumed every second.
  • People that live in Hawaii average 4 cans of Spam each year for each person...they are the Spam capital of the world, you know.
  • Spam is sold in special gift boxes in Korea.
  • Spam stolen from army PX's in Korea are sold on the Black Market.
  • Nikita Kruschev was quoted as saying, "Without Spam, we wouldn't have been able to feed our army" in WWII about the Russian army.
  • There are 13 types of Spam: Spam Classic, Spam Classic 7 oz., Spam Low Sodium, Spam Garlic, Spam Lite, Spam Golden Honey, Spam Hot and Spicy, Spam Spread, Spam Singles, Spam Hickory Smoke, Spam with Bacon, Spam with Cheese, and Spam Oven Roasted Turkey
  • The Spam mascot used to be Spammy the Pig
  • The world record for eating Spam is held by Richard LeFevre. He devoured six pounds of it- or, eight- 12 ounce cans- in 12 minutes.
So, Amanda you have learned lots of new things today!! You may pick any of the above facts to share!

Now, I can't say I hated it. I would definitely never eat this stuff by itself, but, all in all, it was too bad all chopped up in mac and cheese. Although, I lost 3 pounds last week I wouldn't recommend it as a good weight loss staple food. I'm just sayin'.

Where I found my amazing amount of Spam knowledge:
http://www.cusd.claremont.edu/~mrosenbl/spamfacts.html
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/470437/little_known_facts_about_spam_.html?cat=22

4 comments:

DeMo said...

Thank you for the disgusting information about Spam. I was just working on my next edition of the Daily DeMo. You didn't mention that it stands for Specially Prepared Army Meat. Or maybe I made that up...

I can't imagine what 6 pounds of Spam did to that guy's digestive system. Blech.

The Youngs said...

I am so glad Rob thinks it is disgusting so I dont have to cook it. Hmmm do you cook it or can you eat it out of the can?

Marcia said...

You're brave for trying it! In defense of SPAM...it's kind of like hot dogs - I love them but don't really want to think about what's in them! I guess Doug told you about when he was a little boy whenever Bob was out of town we would eat all the things he hated and we liked. Spam, mac and cheese with broccoli was on the top of the list! I guess it's a context thing! Hum...Bob's out of town...

Angela said...

Heather,

I cooked mine...I think you can eat it straight out of the can though...although, it smells better after cooked...when I first opened the can I doubled checked the label to make sure I didn't get dog food. It tasted better than it smelled! :-)

Marcia,

I say go for it! Eat as much as you can...well, maybe not.

Post a Comment