Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Day 3 - Please Someone Kill Me Now!

Now that all of our air travel was done for several days we were quite excited! Now, the real vacation could begin.

Doug and Daniel started out their day way before Jessica and I did. They left around 5 a.m. or some horrible hour like that that should not be recognized while on vacation, but they like it. On a regular non-vacation day, no way, but on vacation, bring it on! Jessica and I took it upon ourselves to sleep for them, which we did quite well.

After a breakfast of french toast (I had vanilla hazelnut, Doug had huckleberry...more on a later date) which reminded me vaguely of funnel cakes we headed to our next location. Off to Many Glacier which looks like this:


Our hotel was very close to the Iceberg Lake trailhead (don't I sound like I know what I'm talking about when I use terms like trailhead?! Just wait til' I whip out switchbacks...gives you chills doesn't it?!) which was our hike of choice for the day. It's 10 miles roundtrip. This doesn't sound so bad when you think of it in terms of driving. I was gasping for breath on the way there on several occasions, but that 's because I'm from KS and we don't have elevation thus we have oxygen here. Sad to say we didn't really see much wildlife except for a mountain goat. There was the instance of a "micro-bear" which Doug told us was more vicous than a regular bear and very small...I think he was making it up...I have my suspicions. I was pretty pooped and so were my feet by the time we reached Iceberg Lake, but it was worth the view:

An apparent tradition that I was not informed of proceeded. Jessica and I were instructed to remove our shoes and step into the water...the water with big ice cubes floating in it. I noticed something right away...the boys didn't do this, they just took pictures and laughed at us girls writhing in pain from the freezing temperature. I think next time they will be required to do that and then we will take pictures and laugh at them! Sounds fair to me!

Well, when it was time to start the 5 mile hike back my feet were not happy that they were being forced back into boots. The rest of the hike taught me a lot about prayer. I talked a lot to God on the way back. I'm sure he was teaching me a lesson and I'm still trying to figure it out. This was my time with God:

"DEAR JESUS, MAKE THE PAIN STOP! I WANT TO SEE YOU! I'M READY TO COME TO HEAVEN RIGHT NOW AND SOAK MY ACHING FEET IN A NICE GOLD BOWL OF WARM WATER AND MAYBE EVEN SIT IN A HOT TUB OF HOLY WATER!"

I was losing my mind. The only thing that got me back was the promise of pasta. I got my pasta too. I could have been the worst pasta in the world and I would have been happy because it would have been food in front of me while I was sitting.

We returned to our hotel where we fell into bed for a long night's sleep...or so we thought...

Tune in tomorrow for Day 4 - There's a Moose Under Our Bed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment