Friday, August 14, 2009

Day 4 (Part 2) - How Old Am I?

After a 10 mile hike and then a pretty sleepless night due to the mouse gang in our room, my body was rejecting me. My legs were screaming out, my feet were cursing and my knees definitely weren't acting like Christians. I don't know what it feels like to be 85, but I'm pretty sure that was as close as I'm gonna get for about 59 more years. I felt like I was waddling everywhere. The knees were not bending so well...so, we wanted to take it easy.

Daniel went out at one of those non-existent hours in the morning and rehiked the 10 miles we did the previous day to get the perfect shot...he is a crazy man. There are bears out there...micro and regular. There are moose (I prefer to call plural moose, moosen) out there. There are rabid ground squirrels out there too I'm sure.

He got back at around 10 a.m. as the other 3 of us were finishing up breakfast. We decided the waitress would be the perfect person to ask about easy hikes or fun things to do in the area. Little did we know she was one of the people we saw the previous day on our hike "skiing" on her boots down the side of a mountain on rocks. We were a little wary of her suggestions...here they were...

1. Do a 3-4 mile hike to Red Rock Falls and soak in the pools of water. Feels good a warm day.
2. Ski down a mountain on your boots...but watch out for the rams.
3. Jump off of waterfalls on the hotel grounds...they are only 60 feet high.

I don't know about you, but #'s 2 and 3 sound fantastic. (Just a bit of sarcasm there people.)

We decided to do a 3-4 mile hike to Red Rock Falls. A nice, easy hike for non-Christian knees.

It wasn't too horrible and I told my knees to take it like a man. They can be a couple of sissies sometimes. There's no crying in hiking!! (There is when there are wild animals in your room though...I "forgot" to include that yesterday...I kinda woke Doug up the 2nd time when I was bawling my eyes out because of the mouse gang - there had to be at least 16.2 mice in there I'm sure - I wasn't scared of them I was very, very angry at them...sorry, back to today's blog) Again, the hike was worth it:

We didn't wear our suits, but decided to stick our feet in the pools that this crazy waitress told us to swim in...
Can't you tell how we were ready to jump right in and take a little dip. No way! I don't know who this waitress was, but there was no way we were immersing ourselves in that water. It was beautiful, but so stinking cold. I have no idea how Doug kept his legs in it for so long. I think he said at one point they were kinda numb. It did feel good on the feet after a while, but definitely not for swimming in!

The boys decided to be crazy brave and walk out to the edge and look over the top of one of the falls, but us girls stayed sitting on a tall rock, overlooking the area. We looked straight ahead instead of watching our husbands risk their lives for the sake of photography. This is what we watched.
Safe and pretty just the way we like it. Not like this:Thankfully this wasn't the last picture of these two.

We eventually hiked back and on our way back to the hotel as we were driving we saw one of these:
Except we didn't get this view...praise the Lord. He was on this hill as we drove past it.


Here was our sunset that night...Amazing...


Overall, a good day. No limbs (or toes) were lost. No one fell off of a waterfall. No one got car sick. Plus we had a sure place to sleep...which is what we did that night, mouse gang or not.

But would we have the same luck tomorrow?

Find out in the next installment Day 5 - "Don't Worry It's a Flat Hike."

2 comments:

DeMo said...

I don't know why, but Doug reminds me of an old man in that picture. And why is he getting his boots wet!? Didn't his mother teach him not to hike in wet socks?

Gorgeous pictures, but ya, what those boys are doing at the edge of the rock is CRAZY.

Thank you for not getting eaten by that bear. He is kinda furry and cute though.

Angela said...

He had his Crocs on. But he did stand in lakes and streams on other occasions in his boots and socks and got them soaked!! It took a few days for them to dry out. Good thing he brought 2 pairs.

Post a Comment